I'm seeing exactly the same: big latency and a lot of timeouts. When
posting a tweet, Twitter sometimes does not return a response within
30 seconds. After my curl times out, the app has no way of knowing if
the post made it or not. Sometimes it will appear on Twitter and
sometimes it won't. This effectively breaks our app. Replicated the
error on two different servers (in the Netherlands) and with different
accounts.

I would very much appreciate a reaction from Twitter on this. We are
in the process of switching to OAuth, but I would like to know if I
have to implement a workaround while we're on the old system.
Thanks,

@tjaap