The friend I am developing the app with, tells me that we can't log
tcp traffic ourselves. We'd have to get our host provider involved.
What I do have, is the logfile of updates:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6030727/httpresponse_latency.xls

I started this log on Friday. As you can see the connections (in
seconds in the third column) took very long on Friday (times are
Central European Time). It had been like this since Wednesday or
Thursday. The times are limited by the timeout we set in cURL, we
played around with that value a little to find out what was going on.

The http response sometimes is 0, which cURL returns in 0 seconds.
Sometimes the http response is 0 after a long wait.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm @tjaap.

Jaap