When you say that 10% fail immediately, do you mean that 10% fail in
less than a second? What is the failure indication? This sounds a lot
like a problem on your server, perhaps a shared resource exhaustion --
connections, memory, file descriptors, etc.

I see the similar latency from here in San Francisco, on a weekend---
say 80% < 0 seconds, 5% < 1 second, 4% < 2 seconds, 1% < 3 seconds,
and none beyond 3 seconds. During a weekday, I could see how latency
might increase somewhat beyond this for very short periods. I don't
see any test tweets failing, with curl or with a Scala program, after
hundreds of POSTs.

Are you seeing requests fail that take longer than 8 seconds?

Also, when the latency increases to 8 seconds, can you run a ping to
www.twitter.com and post the summary information at the end of the
run? Where, geographically, are your servers located?