On May 11, 4:45 am, John Kalucki <j...@twitter.com> wrote:
> Now that we have a reasonable idea about what is transpiring, I'd
> venture to say that the latency distribution will be widest between
> about 6:30am to 10:30am PDT (13:30-17:30 UTC), and considerably less
> so until perhaps 5pm PDT. The balance of the day should be OK.

At Warblecamp on the weekend someone (@mario) mentioned it would be
nice have a means of identifying (or at least being aware of) these
sorts of issues. And given the size of twitter these days and the
considerable usage of the API, there are so many variables that can
impact on performance differently for every user that it can be
difficult to know if a problem is isolated to your code or is
affecting a wide population. So floating an idea to promote some
further discussion and see if there is any interest, obvious issues
with the approach, input, etc.

Would it be worthwhile having an independent service that allowed
developers to programmatically log their current API performance and
issues? For those that use Rails I'm thinking something along the
lines of rpm.newrelic but specifically twitter focussed. It could post
any 5xx error responses as they occur and regularly ping details about
the process usage (CPU utilization, RAM, etc.). In isolation they're
not very useful stats, in aggregation they'd help identify specific
areas suffering problems like "80% of our users in The Netherlands are
currently experiencing severe latency issues" or system wide issues
like a particular call failing,

So would it be of any use? I'm not a consumer of the API anywhere near
the scale of Twitterfeed and so I don't currently see the same
requirement for such a service, I'm more inclined to believe if I have
a problem it's almost always mine to deal with. The great thing about
services like rpm.newrelic and hoptoad is that they give you
actionable information, and while I think this would be an interesting
technical challenge I wonder if it's actually providing users anything
actionable.

Thoughts?
--
Glenn Gillen