Today (5/18) I haven't gotten the error at all. It was happening
occasionally on 5/16 and very often on 5/17 during the daytime and
evening, eastern US.

My request, in PHP (I've modified EpiTwitter slightly to deal in XML
rather than JSON):

$twitterObj = new EpiTwitter($consumer_key, $consumer_secret,
$_COOKIE['oauth_token'], $_COOKIE['oauth_token_secret']);
$twitterInfo = $twitterObj-
>get_statusesHome_timeline(array("count"=>"$numTweets"));

and then the contents of $twitterInfo->responseText  is this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<hash>
  <request>/statuses/home_timeline.xml?count=100</request>
  <error>Invalid application</error>
</hash>