Peter,

The strength of Twitter is that the user has control, not a
developer.  If they want to post an offer on their page, or anything
else for that matter, for pay or just because they want to share one,
they should be allowed to.  The Twitter infrastructure is a great
filter for weeding out posts, users, and apps that have poor
intentions.

You, as a developer, can always exclude tweets based on where the
tweet came from.

I also support Twitter's intent, but this was not the best way to get
it done.