Quoting Ryan Sarver <rsar...@twitter.com>:

I want to make sure this part is clear -- this policy change isn't meant to
say that we are going to start policing if the content of something a user
tweets is an ad or not. The policy change affects 3rd party services that
were putting ads in the middle of a timeline.

So if Liz is paid by Reebok to tweet about how much she loves their new
shoes, we are not going to be policing that any more than we were on Friday.
This policy also *does not prohibit* services like Ad.ly that help
facilitate those relationships or even help her post the ads to her timeline
on her behalf.

It *does prohibit* an application from calling out to a service to find an
ad to serve to Liz that will get inserted into the timeline she is viewing.

The language is somewhat nuanced but it sounds like we might need to make
the policy more explicit as a number of people are misinterpreting it.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Ryan

Ryan, you could do the whole world a *huge* favor and post this (and the other similar post) as a comment to Mashable's extracts of today's discussion here.

http://mashable.com/2010/05/24/twitter-third-party-ad-networks/