Taylor,

Read this part of that FAQ: "Paid Tweets injected into any timeline on
a service that leverages the Twitter API (other than Promoted Tweets).
This applies to any Twitter stream, whether user based, search based,
or other."

Do you realize how confusing that is?

1) Does it mean I can publish a paid tweet via the API? (I know I can,
but someone who just reads the FAQ won't be able to figure that out.)

2) Does it mean I can inject "tweets" into any displayed timeline, as
long as they are not "paid tweets"? If so, it means I can insert
entries that look exactly like tweets, except they did not come from
Twitter and they contain my affiliate link.

You guys really need to sit down and read all these things through the
eyes of people who are not privy to your internal discussions,
decisions, and understanding of the matter. And then write your TOS
and FAQs so that everyone can understand them.