Sounds kind of like GData workflow, is that what you are going for?

Source application installation must connect to registered API
application though an application authentication URL.
API application author has full control over expiring any application
tokens at any given point causing all source applications to have to
reconnect.

So in my mind, to simplify things, I see two levels of authentication.
First the source application must be authenticated before it can be
used (key).
Then once the source application is ready, it can be used for to
authenticate specific users' accounts once allowed by the user
(token).

Does this also mean it requires more levels of checking on the logic
side?
First check the if keys have expired, then check if tokens have
expired?

As a fan of the GData workflow, I think this sounds very good, but I
would still love see a request/response oriented workflow example.

Thanks