I'm finding it fairly hard to laugh and relax, to be honest.

I'm not a developer. I just use perl scripts to automate my twitter
feeds.

Receiving a notice telling me that the authentication process had
permanently changed, and receiving it 2 days AFTER the change had been
deployed, was not impressive.. And discovering that there was no
legacy basic authentication to keep hobbyists on track was equally
unimpressive.

Not only, from a user and a hobbyist perspective, a confusing lack of
info on the oauth principles as they relate to twitter but there is an
absolute lack of examples for some of the simple things we do such
as ... how DO I automate my twitter feed using a perl script for which
there is no access token, and where the requirement is that of ::duh::
automation. i.e. no user transaction to obtain a token.

I "get" oauth, and the need for it - at least from your perspective. I
just can't believe that you club-footed your way into a release
schedule without some legacy support.