There was a very easy solution, IMHO, to the basic auth issue that I
am surprised twitter didn't consider.

1) Add a new field to user profile settings that is "Allow basic
authentication for API."  Set this to be false by default for all
users.  You can even set a scary message here discouraging its use.
2) If you try to post to this account with basic auth, it just wont
work, and will return a "basic auth is disabled" error.
3) Even basic users would be capable to switching this to true so
their app would work.

Its not too late twitter.