Ed,

As part of the migration we worked with many developers to help them with
the transition and some of them, including our own Android app, had some
extenuating circumstances that made them unable to make the date. For those
few exceptions and extreme cases we granted them a stay of execution as long
as they provided a reasonable timeline to make the transition.

It pained us to do it for one of our own applications, but I'll give you
some detail to help you understand why we needed to. And to be clear, we did
this for a number of non-Twitter applications as well if we deemed their
situation to be one that needed the stay as well. In the end all of the apps
that got the stay were mobile apps that were unable to flash new versions
out to devices on their own schedule and that includes the Android app on a
number of devices.

We have a hard shut-off date from Google which is only a few weeks away and
from every other app that was given an exemption. Rest assured that EVERY
app will be moved over in a timely fashion, so using their keys will only
give you a short window to continue to use Basic Auth.

When looking at all the possible options and scenarios, we think this was
the right decision in order to move the entire ecosystem over to the new
authentication model while also being reasonable when we needed to be.

Best, Ryan