The best way to avoid running afoul of Twitter's spam policies as an
API developer is to follow a golden rule: "don't surprise users."
Automating an @mention because your algorithm determined something
interesting about the user (as opposed to another user of your service
deliberately triggering the mention) to a user who has no awareness of
your service, especially if the @mention's purpose is primarily to
drive awareness of your service, could likely be perceived as spam by
many users. I know I certainly would hit the block & report for spam
button.

I usually recommend in this case that you either send @mentions
because the @mentioned user explicitly indicated interest in your
service (say by allowing your client application access to it's
account), if the @mentioned interacted with your bot in the past, or
if another user of your service explicitly triggered the @mention. In
this last case, you're better off making the @mention come directly
from the user utilizing your service, rather than having it be
authored by the bot itself.

Taylor