I totally agree. It would be difficult for twitter to do this...

Give your users confidence by proactively anticipating their fears and
addressing them. Figure out what would stop them from signing in with
OAuth and answer those questions upfron. The favstar.fm example is
very good as it demonstrates this process, and shows specific answers
to specific fears.

Perhaps also show some "social proof". tell them how many other user
are successfully using your app. Have you got 100,000 users..? Well if
you do then tell them that 100,000 users are using your app safely
already, and have all signed in with OAuth. 100,000 is just an
example..

Address the topic in your support forums with specific articles,
questions and answers too. And finally, honor their confidence. If you
say you'll never tweet to their account, NEVER tweet to their account.
If you betray this unspoken trust then all will be lost..

If you can get this right then you'll really see your conversions
climb..!

Good luck
Dave