"More specifically, developers ask us if they should build client apps that
mimic or reproduce the mainstream Twitter consumer client experience.  The
answer is no."

"We need to ensure users can interact with Twitter the same way everywhere."

I'm not sure you can say these things and simultaneously try to say you have
a welcoming developer environment. All third party Twitter developers, no
matter what they make, are now walking on eggshells, constantly at risk of
offending Twitter's ideas of how users should interact with Twitter.

You may feel you "need" this consistency, but you don't. You want it, and
are willing to make tradeoffs to get it. I just hope you realize how big
those tradeoffs are, and how chilling it is for Twitter to decide that only
certain kinds of innovation on the Twitter API are welcome.

-- Eric