It seems a little confusing that you're basically saying "don't build
any more Twitter clients" and then call out the likes of Hoot Suite
and Seesmic as being examples of what people should be doing.  At
heart they're just Twitter clients (that we shouldn't build any
more?)  They also appear to be conflict with section 5e of the Ts &
Cs: "You may not use Twitter Content or other data collected from end
users of your Client to create or maintain a separate status update or
social network database or service."

I guess what confuses me most, is the motivation behind this
announcement?  I mean sure, no-one wants apps out there that take
advantage of end users and give them a rough ride, but as you said
yourself 90% of users aren't getting that experience and as someone
else said; good apps will always bubble to the top.

I think it's incredibly disappointing to hear Twitter tell dev's not
to create clients any more.  No developer sets out to create a bad
Twitter client.  They set out to improve the Twitter experience,
because they believe they can and generally because they love
Twitter.  Arguably Twitter wouldn't be where it is today if it weren't
for those that did exactly that.

Unless we've all misunderstood what's been said here, then I'd
question investing any time or money into the focusing on what are,
today, areas "outside the mainstream consumer client experience".
Sure go ahead and innovate in the areas Twitter tells you you're
allowed to... for now.  What happens when Twitter sees the new
innovation you've just discovered is really popular?  Do we get
another announcement telling dev's not to develop that stuff any more?

Like I say, I hope we've all misunderstood the message here (I really
do).  I've no beef with the Ts & Cs.  But please don't tell people to
stop developing clients that people work hard on and that users love.