On my Android phone I have both the official Twitter client and
Twidroid installed.  If they had more or less the same functionailty
and useability I would prefer to use the official client.  However I
only use Twidroid, because Twitter's official app is inferior.  I
could explain why in detail if anyone is interested, but it's not a
subtle matter, it's gross and obvious.

Twitter apparently believes that no one should bother making a plain
old timeline-displaying client because Twitter's official ones are all
you need.  And yet even with Twidroid's prior example to copy from,
Twitter's official Android client is still unusable.  I say this one
example shows that the new policy Ryan posted is at best premature.