We're also seeing 400s on different boxes across different IP
addresses with different queries (so it does not appear to be server
or query specific). These began on all boxes at 2 a.m. UTC. We've
backed off on both number and rate of queries with no effect. We've
also noticed an increase in sporadic fail whales via browser based
search (atom and html) from personal accounts, although we haven't
attempted to quantify it.