Agreed : further absolutely unnecessary obfuscation of links.

The whole reason for the use of shorteners and even the 140 character limit
was in place due to the character restrictions on SMS. SO: Why not JUST
shorten these links for SMS messages they send out??  I'm sure SMS only
users are in a vast minority compared to mobile client and web/desktop
clients.

Unfortunately it seems to be the way things are going with Twitter.

I have no idea why they just don't acquire bit.ly (and apply it to
t.courls) with all it's great features for those who simply must
shorten urls.

FYI: The data API does provide the actual url (and character positions) of
any original urls
This is obviously only useful if you're creating your own client / ui to
tweets.