I believe that at least part of Twitter's motivation is based on
protecting users from spam and viruses. In that case, why not
implement some purging alogrithms? Here's an easy one. If an account
follows nobody and only sends emails with a screen name and URL, it is
probably a spammer and the URLs are probably bad news for anyone who
clicks them.
http://twitter.com/#!/wrennieoqeqc4
http://twitter.com/#!/sagoesclucxl5