On Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:23:47 PM UTC+1, Adam Green wrote:

> I believe that at least part of Twitter's motivation is based on
> protecting users from spam and viruses. In that case, why not
> implement some purging alogrithms? Here's an easy one. If an account
> follows nobody and only sends emails with a screen name and URL, it is
> probably a spammer and the URLs are probably bad news for anyone who
> clicks them.

Far from being easy - that's exactly the sort of pattern that twitter has
come to realise they can't automatically classify as spam as it's exactly
the model of usage to get news out in oppressive regimes (esp the "arab
spring" of last 6-9 months). Imagine you've just seen the army roll in and
start a massacre of civilians, you take a few photos, post them somewhere
like a dropbox account with a short cry for help, set up a twitter account
and rapidly post the url to a load of people outside the event -
journalists, activists etc (note that you set up a new account so that it
can't be traced to you should the army or secret police or whoever get hold
of it). This model of rapid anonymous dissemination of breaking news is a
major part of what makes twitter what it is  - maybe not to all of us, but
it's a key model that they want to foster.

So what twitter do instead is wrap the link in a t.co link and expand it
again when people view the tweet.. they can then examine the url after the
event (ie a few seconds or a few minutes later) and if it turns out to be
spam, disable the t.co link (so anyone clicking on it after that point will
not be sent to the pointed at site).

If you look it up you can find interviews with the twitter spam team where
they explain this.