To: "ICS support mailing" <twsocket@elists.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: [twsocket] Is there a way to download a file in threads?

I would do it by writing to temporary files. The reason is because when you start writing to an offset in a new file, the write call will block for a long time while Windows zeroes/randomizes the earlier bytes so that you cant read someone elses file that was previously in the same place on the disk. I did a BitTorrent client where it writes pieces randomly into the file and the whole application would lock up when it first starts writing to the end of the file because of this blocking.
As for how to retrieve pieces of the file, just do a REST to set your starting offset, and in your progress event or whatever you use, check if you have received enough data from that connection and close the data socket it if you have (you might receive slightly more than you wanted for that connection but who cares).

Dan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Moacir Flávio Gonçalves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>