> > I would do it by writing to temporary files.  The reason is because
> > when you start writing to an offset in a new file, the write call
> > will block for a long time while Windows zeroes/randomizes the
> > earlier bytes so that you cant read someone elses file that was
> > previously in the same place on the disk.
>
> With NT and better (who really cares about Win9x any more), you can
> use sparse files, where the OS creates a file (potentially larger
> than the disk) but only allocates sectors as you write them.  Once
> the file is complete, it would be copied to a normal file.

that's the trick Angus...

Still a lot of people cares about Win9x...
i can see many computers coming at my company
to be repaired still working with Win95/98/Me...

Guillaume MAISON
-----
Guillaume MAISON - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
83, Cours Victor Hugo
47000 AGEN
Tél : 05 53 87 91 48 - Fax : 05 53 68 73 50
e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Web : http://nauteus.com