Francois Piette wrote:

>>> I'm using LogonUser, ImpersonateLoggedOnUser and RevertToSelf in
>>> some of my applications. What are the differences between those and
>>> ImpersonateContext and RevertContext ?
>>
>> LogonUser works only if your account has 'Act As Part Of The
>> Operating System' privileges. Beside that I think they are the same.
>
> LogonUser work if the already logged on user (that is the session
> user) has "Log on locally" permission. I don't think 'Act As Part Of
> The Operating System' privileges is related to LogonUser.

That differs depending on the Winnt version. I think in XP the SE_TCB_NAME
privilege is no longer required, bravo M$.

"Windows 2000:  The process calling LogonUser requires the SE_TCB_NAME
privilege. If the calling process does not have this privilege, LogonUser fails
and GetLastError returns ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD. In some cases, the process
that calls LogonUser must also have the SE_CHANGE_NOTIFY_NAME privilege
enabled; otherwise, LogonUser fails and GetLastError returns
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. This privilege is not required for the local system
account or accounts that are members of the administrators group. By default,
SE_CHANGE_NOTIFY_NAME is enabled for all users, but some administrators may
disable it for everyone. For more information about privileges, see Privileges."

There are also differences between NT4 and 2K, in one of the versions it had
to be enabled before calling LogonUser and in one of the versions LogonUser
enables it as necessary.