>I want the browser to display a upload progress bar while
> an HTTP file upload is taking place.

hile the browser is busy uploading the file, you may have another browser
window (a popup window) updated on a regular basis either purely locally
using javascript (not sure you have access to file size) or using
xmlhttprequest object (that is some Ajax technology) to request the
information from the server. The server being able to get upload size from
content-length header line, if the client sent it in the first place (I'm
not sure it is sent but you can easily check for that).