> I think using a single NIC, 64000 sockets could be possible for a proxy
> since we can define the local port of the client connections the same,
> right?

64K sockets if probably the upper limit on concurrent connections per
interface. There are probably other limits which could be reached first in
the OS. I'm thinking about handles or non paged memory pool. The max number
of concurrent socket has been discussed a lot here and on the internet. As
far as I remember, the non-paged memory pool and the handle count are the
two most limitation factors.

Assuming a socket with some activity, having a receive buffer of 8KB (the
default in windows) and a send buffer of 8KB (Also the default), given the
max non-paged memory size being 256MB (You need 4GB of RAM in the computer
since non page memory pool is at most 1/8 of physical RAM, again if memory
serve me well). This result in maximum 16384 sockets.

Mitigating factors:
Non-page memory pool is used for other things that winsock buffer. This
would reduce the number of sockets.
Sockets are not all active and /if/ winsock correctly manage his buffers, it
may actually use less memory and thus result in slightly more sockets.
The number of handles: The OS Kernel has some limit on the number of
handles. You have the handles for each sockets, the handle for the hidden
windows and of course a lot of handles for the rest of the OS and
applications to run. This would reduce the number of possible sockets.