Francois Piette wrote:
>>> Actually, this is a lot of small files (48KB mean size).
>>> Speed is roughly 2 Mbps which is low for a 100 Mbps.
>
>> Oha, as I read between the lines, I have to rework my code :(
>
> You never reach 100 Mbps which is faster than many disks. Once you
> have large data size, you overflow the cache memory and work at the
> speed of the disk.

Just tested uploading a single 2 GB file at 44 Mbits/s, CPU use went
down when server was writing to disk heavily so most likely real line
speed is even better.
But the limit of 2 Mbits/s with plenty of small files persists and
there seems to be no way around except by using multiple instances.

Another bottleneck may be logging. Each log message, FTP request,
response, and other stuff has to be written to log files and must
be sent to a GUI application that controls the uploader service via
a socket connection. I do that by Move() the log message into a newly
allocated piece of memory, and PostMessage() the memory address to
another thread (the Com-Thread) running TWSocketServer to communicate
with the GUI. The Com-Thread the writes to the log files and if a GUI
is connected TWSocketClient sends the log string, afterwards memory
is released. That works without a leak since FastMM is used, however
there are approximately 8 log lines thus 8 calls to GetMem() per
uploaded file. If this design was realy a problem, do you know a
faster way?

> There are also differences if you use a real server (hardware and
> software) than a simple desktop to do your tests.

Both are simple desktops.

> Sometimes there are bandwidth limitation setup in server, routers,
> switches,...

That's not the case here.

> And of course bad cabling can slow down things. Use "netstat -e" to
> see you netwrok card statistics. rejected packets and errors should
> be zero.

Fortunately both are zero.

--
Arno Garrels [TeamICS]