> Does anyone here know how to implement a "Reverse ARP" request?
>
> I have a piece of hardware that has a network port for remote
> control (RJ45, 10/100 UTP etc) but next to no physical user
> interface, but it does support IP address assignment by DHCP.

If the hardware sets it's IP address using DHCP, then the DHCP server
should be announce the address, but whether this is accessible
programmatically is another issue.

You can ping the local subnet to find which IP addresses are in use, and
try to connect to find your device.  Using a threaded ping, you can send
off 253 pings at the same time to avoid all the timeouts waiting for

The Microsoft IP Helper APIs do offer some ARP functions, but they appear
to relate only to ARP on the local PC.  There is a SendARP function, but
it just returns the MAC address for a remote PC by IP address, whereas
you want the reverse.

Google brings up a lot of hits on Reverse APR and RAPR, but the first
page does not show any tools or implementations, just background.

Angus