Thanks Angus...

I need to do this in a way so as to minimaly impact the network as a
whole, while "discovering" the gadgets IP address.   The last time I
"Pinged" an entire (class C) subnet, I got a visit from IT!..  ;-)   I
think they were more upset I knew as much as they did about such
things...

The unit itself is an industrial RF amplifier, the network port it has
is a bought in part I've discovered, that supplier (Lantronix) have some
tools available to do this, but they are not exactly user (read, less
than capable customer who knows nothing about networks) friendly, as
they have way too many opertunities to mangle the settings, or are not
available for redistribution, such as on the units CD manual disk..

We know the unit's MAC address, it's printed on the case, we just need
to query it to find it's assigned IP address.  Querying the DHCP server
is out of the question sadly, even though I know how to, I don't have
the rights to do so.   I'd doubt if any user would either.

Oh well, the search continues.   Yes, as you say, lots of Google hits,
but no real details..   Did find a couple of other people looking for
the same, some years back.

Thanks again.

Dave B.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.
www.palmercook.co.uk