Can you publish the test program and everything needed to reproduce the bug ?
not for the moment, I can't publish it myself (no access), but I can add the routine here
I've sent the complete source to Arno

If the bug occurs only on some computers, it is likely that it comes from those computers. What is the common point between those computers ? Which OS version, winsock and so on? Do they have the same OpenSSL DLL ?

No, it's specific : on slower PC's <2Ghz.
All were XP SP2
All have the same Dll's, they were supplied with the testprogram (9.8.i)
The same program with D7-ICSV5 works averywhere

this is the routine used :

function TfrmMain.LoadServersConfig: integer;
begin
 try
   HttpLocCli.Proxy         := '';
   HttpLocCli.ProxyPort     := '8080';
   HttpLocCli.ProxyUsername := '';
   HttpLocCli.ProxyPassword := '';
   HttpLocCli.RcvdStream:= TMemoryStream.Create;
   try
     HttpLocCli.URL:= 'https://betacfg.remotepass.com/unatpreinstall.aspx';
     T1:= GetTickCount;
     HttpLocCli.Get;
     T2:= GetTickCount;
     label2.Caption:= 'Time ms : ' + IntToStr(T2-T1);
     result:= HttpLocCli.StatusCode;
   finally
     HttpLocCli.RcvdStream.Free;
   end;