Thank you for your prompt response. We already tried your solution and seems to
be working. The issue is as follows: I do not have (access to) the client's
certificate (application not developed by me) in order to compose the chains
you mentioned. Furthermore I aspect that other clients that have the same ROOT
as me (but possibly other intermediary CA and client certs) will connect to my
server. I was wondering if there is a possibility to test the certificates at
ROOT level and complete a communication and transaction.

Please advice!