Well, everyone:

THANK YOU!

Got there in the end. It seemed that at every juncture, PCSensor had
done things in an unexpected way, but it was a great learning
experience.

The good material at the ICS Wiki was helpful, too, once I was able
to "get started", with the help onlist and off of several people
here.

The fruits of my labor are now online, in the form of a tutorial
which I hope will help the next person get past those early travails
at the base of the learning curve...

http://sheepdogguides.com/dt5n.htm

It is couched in Delphi terms, and talks of communicating with a
TEMPerLAN server, from PCSensor... but I think there are many general
points which will be useful to a wider audience than the Delphi/
TEMPerLAN comment might imply.

Thanks again,  Tom Boyd

http://facebook.com/SheepdogSoftware  TK Boyd's site with
freeware and shareware for kids, parents, schools... and others.
You don't have to be a Facebook member to access the site.