Angus Robertson : yes i'm talking about the Client app , i must calculate
the user's internet connection speed because based on this information
*some separate  procedures will be invoked , for example the video or audio
streaming quality for commercial use and on purpose .  *

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd <
an...@magsys.co.uk> wrote:

> > In my audio + video streaming i must know the client internet
> > connection speed so that the application will react based on this
> > connection speed , so please how it's possible to calculate the
> > user's connection speed asit's being used on SKYPE  ' Call Quality
> > Indicator ' or used here : http://www.pingtest.net/
>
> Not sure if you are talking about a client or server application here.
>
> A server has no knowledge of client performance, even a client has
> difficulty in
> knowing, it might have a fast wireless connection to a router and then a
> terribly
> slow internet connection, or vice versa.
>
> Using ping you can find the round trip time in milliseconds to a host that
> responds
> to pings, but many hosts don't respond and firewalls often block pings.
> If ping
> works, it can be used to check the quality of a connection by looking for
> packet
> loss, which can be devastating for streaming which is often not error
> corrected.
> ICS has a ping component and trace route demo.
>
> Internet speeds are best measured from the client to a speedtest site, but
> this can
> be time consuming and you don't want to do it very often, also many such
> sites are
> unable to cope with the 150Mb and higher speeds common today on cable
> modems and
> FTTP.
>
> Angus
>

> --