I must admit I'm a little confused and not just about ICS.  Years ago,
(could be decades now) I sent my postcard to France and tried to use ICS.
Yet over the years my Delphi projects tend to be menu's and buttons that
interface through USB Serial or CAN bus with 8 bit characters or bytes.
Even now when I need to update an old project I have to go through the
headache of changing chars and strings.

I've stopped at XE7.  A valiant effort in hopes to be able to perhaps write
a program that was transferable to ipads or iphones or androids.  Alas, I'm
still just writing windows programs and none of my clients care or expressly
do not want their application running on a tablet or phone.

I do have an application that sends out DMX512A light show UDP packets using
IdUDPClient.  I don't even remember why I used that library.  Why would I
use ICS instead?

Yet, the IoT is interesting.  A simple application that interacts with my
new Raspberry Pi or Beagle Bone Black with Wifi dongle is appealing.   One
that is portable so my iPhone or Windows Laptop can send a message to the
Beagle to control a couple of outputs  to turn on lights or send CAN message
to my network of surplus Olympic Rings lights.

So where would I start?  Why would I use the twsocket family now?

Thanks
John Dammeyer