Tony:

I always think of the costs for PDP to be similar to that of wIntegrate.
You buy a database license and a connection license (like wIntegrate) for
the client end.

If you build the application as a windows app then you pay like wIntegrate
(25 users = 25 U2 licenses + 25 PDP.NET licenses).  If, however, you build
an ASP.NET application then you pay less (25 users = 5 U2 licenses + 5
PDP.NET licenses) because the dbms license is only consumed when used and
connections are shared.  This is strictly an internal 25 user analysis.

FlashConnect, in a non-persistent mode, costs $1,500 but you don't pay any
connection licenses (25 users = 5 D3 licenses + 0 FlashConnect licenses).
In addition, the purchased Flashconnect component resides on the Web server.
Although a dbms "account" is installed on each D3 dbms server, it's the
web-server component that is paid for.  FlashConnect can be installed on
multiple D3 dbms servers with no additional costs (except for dbms licenses,
if required).

Redback costs $4,000, which includes a $1,000 Redback server and two
webshares (connection licenses) at $1,500 each.  In a non-persistent mode
the two webshares can probably handle 25 users = 5 U2 licenses + 2
Webshares).  I believe each webshare takes a single U2 license.  Each U2
server needs to purchase the RBO server and webshares.  I could be wrong
about how many webshares are needed.  All reports I've heard say webshares
work very efficiently.  In addition, there is an enterprise pricing model
available for high-load sites.

Anyway, these are three distince pricing models and all represent different
approaches to "webizing" an MV application.

FlashConnect is more of a BASIC oriented approach but it doesn't work for
U2.  Coyote Web (not previously mentioned) is very similar to FlashConnect
and does work for both U2 and D3 (maybe jBase too).  So if someone is
looking for an MV BASIC solution they would do well to use FlashConnect for
D3 or Coyote for U2.

Redback is a stable solution that allows for standard web development with
connectivity to a U2 database.  It is much more costly than FlashConnect if
the data is distributed amoung several dbms servers.

PDP.NET is a new product but allows development via the standard Visual
Studio .NET IDE with connectivity to a U2 or D3 database using the .NET
toolset.  You can write the code in .NET or in MV (as can be done with
Redback).

Just a few additional notes.  :-)

Bill