Much has been considered.  These are retail cashiering station that we are
talking about.  One central printer would be my next choice.  The only thing
that can go wrong is that the printer hangs and the whole front counter is
dead.  When the printer runs out of paper, or toner or the drum, or what
have you, they would panic, because the light would be blinking and they
wouldnt know what to do (these guys really arent too bright and would
always rather have the other guy fix the problem). It will lead to a
situation where the printer gets disabled at the unix level and has to be
enabled (easy for you and me, but a mountain for these guys).  Mind you all
this is happening in a retail environment with customers waiting for
receipts (ever been in a supermarket when the receipt printer jams - what if
that was one printer for the whole market).  This isnt good. The spooler is
the obstacle that Im trying to avoid. I started to think of the cheapest,
easiest, uncomplicated way to go about doing this. This is to continue doing
the same thing that has worked flawlessly for about 15 years. The reason for
going to laser is to eliminate preprinted forms, which saves substantial
cash.  I originally believed that the $99 laser I had did postscript.  If it
did, I would be golden.  It doesnt.  It does do PCL4.  So, my next avenue
to explore is to convert the postscript to PLC4 or convert the PDF being
created directly to PCL4.  Currently, the preprinted forms/Epson arrangement
is doing straight ascii printing.  We have started using the Cross PDF
package and we are converting everything to PDF. We are eliminating pre
printed forms wherever they exist.  If all of this ends up not working, then
I will go with the spooled printer solution.  Then I have to create a bunch
of menu options to allow users to view the status of the spooler and printer
- is lpd running, is the printer disabled, is there a lock file that needs
to be cleaned up.  I dont look forward to this. The dumb terminal cost
about $350 w/kybd new.  The laser Im considering is $99.  The cheapest laser
that does postscript (that I know of yet) is the hp 2100 about $400. Im open
to anything that is completely simple and cheap.  I have brought up the idea
of thermal printers like they use in Best Buy, etc... nobody likes em.  We
are a furniture store and the appearance of this just doesnt fit
considering the average ticket is about $1500 and some substantially more.
The owner likes something a little more elegant. So, now you know a little
more about the environment what do you think ?