If you main computer goes down your dumb terminals are history and you
might have to close the store till it is fixed.  If you replace with PC's
which are cheaper than your dumb terminals you can run a local pc point of
sale software in the event of your main machine failure.

Yes if the computer goes down, they dont do business at all.  Everything is
real time.  Warehouse is random.  So, they couldnt locate goods.  I would
bet that only about 1 out ten people in the store could write an invoice
manually.  Hardly anyone knows how to calculate tax, delivery, and deposit
requirements.

Speaking of tax and calculations.  Any Massachusetts, Rhode Island,
Connecticut retailers out there ?  Are you aware of the tax free holiday on
August 14.  Any sales created and paid for on that day are non taxable.
Other states are affected if the sale is a delivery to Mass.  Applies to all
goods LE $2500.  There are other rules, but this is the main idea.

Anyway, the idea with the cashiering station has really got to be simple.
The cashiers are usually kids out of high school that couldnt find a job
anywhere else - we're bottom feeders (not by my choice).  The turnover is
tremendous.  The process is quite complicated compared to a grocery store.
As soon as someone gets trained, they find better pay somewhere else.  Does
Fischer Price or Hasbro (toy manufacturers) make printers : ).
Anthony

---