I have seen and used multiplexing software where you
specify the number of licenses (ports) to be used. If
you assign 10 ports for example, then the 11th user
has to wait until a port is freed up. Ideally
the requests only take up a few seconds, so the 11th
user does not have to wait that long.

Under a multiplexing setup, utilizing client-server
100% you might be able to purchase fewer licenses then
under a non client server setup. You could have 1,000
actual users for example only consume 200 concurrent
licenses at one time with a client-server setup.

I have used other software packages (Saleslogix) that
require each and every unique user to have a license.

>From your email, you seem to hint that Redback is
exempt from the IBM licensing scheme, is that correct
?