Hi Leroy,

I did an upgrade on Manage-2000 (runs on Unidata) at the same time as moving
from an alpha box running Unix to a four processor win-nt back in the 90's.
The biggest issue was setting up printers and logons (and me learning NT).

The reason *why* it was so easy was that there is this great product that
allows Unix (and now Linux) scripts, commands - INCLUDING tars, to be run in
a windows environment.

http://www.mks.com/press/releases/040503a.shtml

ROI (now owned by Epicor) had quite a few scripts written in Unix and using
this tool there was really zero conversion issues other than the printers
and logons.  Really, the code changes from Manage-2000 version 6 to 6.2 was
**much** more work (about a half a year).

I am not affiliated with MKS in any way, shape, or form, so this is not an
adver, but I do highly recommend anyone that wants to minimize their
problems at least check this product out before rewriting all your
scripts!!!!

Almost forgot, there was the problem of NT and Unix having the high order
bit flipped (or something like that) and I cannot remember for the life of
me whether we used FTP to move the data, or Explorer and then run a utility
to correct it.  Just drawing a blank on that one...

Allen
www.tortillafc.com