>From your description, it should be possible to run two instances. Just
create two users, move the /etc/profile code to .profile, and have
/etc/profile instantiate two daemons - one per user.

I don't know the details, but if all VSI-FAX is using is environment
variables, then that's just standard practice ... if on the other hand
it's got hard-coded pathnames embedded in the program itself ...

Cheers,
Wol

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 07 June 2007 14:53
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] Automated Faxing

No, there's really no way to run 2 copies simultaneously. The software
is
installed in the $PATH and uses the $PATH to execute various and sundry
things. It's initiated via /etc/profile, and looks for hard-coded
instances of itself in hard-coded environment variables. The best we can
do is install both copies, but only run one at a time by moving it into
place. That's how the upgrade was done, so downgrading wasn't as
difficult
as it might have otherwise been.

Karl

<quote who="Tony Gravagno">
> karlp wrote:
>> We are on an AIX system running Universe. Currently we are using
Esker
>> Software's VSI-FAX product. They have come out with version 6....
>> The upgrade went smoothly, however a bug appeared
>
>>From someone completely ignorant of the way VSI-FAX installs...
>
> Is there any way to run multiple releases of VSI-FAX simultaneously,
> perhaps to have faxes sent to a temporary efax number for the v6
output
> and
> have your v5 output go where it should?  When you've verified that the
v6
> release is working as expected, remove the bit that changes the phone
> number and everything should go out properly.  You can remove v5 as
time
> permits, or leave it there in case you find any more anomalies and
need to
> hot-switch back.
>
> HTH

Karl Pearson
Director of I.T.
ATS Industrial Supply, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.atsindustrial.com
800-789-9300 x29
Fax: 801-972-3888

"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."