I have to weigh in on this in support of everything stated so far.  John is
right, the first estimate is the one that "sticks" so that estimate has to
factor in what is known about the problem, solution, and path at the time
the estimate is requested, which is often before any real discovery has
taken place.  The less information known before the estimate, the higher the
estimate will be, if for no other reasons than to make sure everyone is
covered with no surprises.  And of course, while customers will do their
best to give all of the information needed at the outset of the task, the
reality is that any and all information needs to be weighed against some
kind of objective review to ensure that the information is accurate and
complete.  In fact, I believe that ensuring that all of the important
information is on the table is a real art form!  (I mean, hey, that's what
discovery and analysis are for, right?) And as Jerry said, there can be a
lot of time invested in those tasks.  Asking someone to estimate a complete
job - which includes the discovery and analysis needed to estimate the
remainder of the tasks - without having those tasks completed in advance is
pretty much asking for an unknown on a fixed timeline, which is as close to
an impending failure as one can intentionally get.

For the past several years I've been taking a multi-stage approach to the
larger projects.  Certainly on a smaller project I've finally gotten to a
point where I can spitball an estimate pretty reliably, but on the big ones
I'll estimate the discovery separate from the analysis separate from the
implementation+testing+installation.  And of course, documentation is also
estimated separately.  Most customers - to date - have been pretty happy to
give me a small budget for discovery knowing that it pays big dividends in
more accurate estimates for the rest of the project.  And accurate, on time,
and on budget makes everyone happy.

-K
http://www.PrecisOnline.com