Why not just test it?

Create a file with some number of records. Write a simple program to select the file and change one character in the record. Write it back to the file. Time it.

Add an AFTER UPDATE trigger calling a subroutine that does *nothing* but a RETURN. Run the program again. Time it.

You have your overhead answer.

Don't ask opinions of pontificators when the machine will tell you the truth.

Regards,

Clif

--
W. Clifton Oliver, CCP