From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: 22 February 2010 19:20
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Embedded program for Windows

> From: Will Johnson
> A window appears with multiple line items listed. User
> chooses one of more line items, for each one enters
> some quantity desired. Submits, or saves, or closes or
> whatever.
>
> Next window only shows those line items they've
> chosen, and the quantity. This window they can print.
>
> This exe is given away free to customers, or at trade
> shows, or whatever.
>
> That's it.

This is funny - I just wrote a GUI for one of our clients that
does exactly what's been defined here, except that we're
scheduling people and quantities for manufacturing production
lines.

Mark, based on this limited set of requirements, you don't need
an MV DBMS at all.  This can be done in a short period of time,
including the installer, operating against text files or perhaps
MS Access files.  This might just take a couple hours, and most
of that time is time for head scratching, wondering why you
wanted to involve MV in this at all.  ;)

I'm guessing that's not really the full spec.

Again, I highly recommend that you and your client consider a
very attractive installable client interface, thick or thin, to a
remote server which provides the functionality, data storage,
etc.  Can you help us to understand why that may not be an
option?  If it is an option, then your solution may only be hours
away.

Also, I'd like to point out that installable progams for PC's
rarely use a browser interface to the localhost.  You either give
someone a URL to a website, or you install a thick client for
local use.  The app can be self-updating (like anti-virus
software and most others these days) and store the data locally
or remotely.  And of course all data management can be done on a
remote MV server, and you can balance the logic between the
client and MV server as well.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com