In message <536051.22442...@web36905.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, Jacques G. <jacque...@yahoo.com> writes
Oh - that reminds me of something else I'd call a bug. It might well have been
fixed by now (I met it in 9.6) but you couldn't safely use a file variable
in an IF statement. Can't remember the details, but it was something like

FVAR = ""
some conditional code
OPEN FILE TO FVAR
more code
IF FVAR EQ "" THEN
oh the file isn't open, so do whatever

If your file is opened, then comparing it to an empty string is what will cause
an invalid data type error.

WHY!!!

If the datatypes don't match, then the result of the comparison is FALSE, not INVALID.

It is logically correct to do such a comparison. The result I am looking for is the logically correct response. It SHOULD NOT crash the program!

And it worked fine on INFORMATION, why not UV?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <pi...@thewolery.demon.co.uk>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the