Oh, I completely agree.  But the point isn't FTP vs. SCP or SFTP, the point
is the value (or anti-value) of unexpectedly breaking existing code.

For years I've been preaching about making reusable components of things
that are on the fringe of the operating environment to minimize the impact
of issues like this, but here many years into this career it's been my
experience that few who have heard my barking have actually heeded the
advice.  Now, this issue could seriously bite some good folks.  That's
really the focus of this frustration... knowing that my limited experiences
quite possibly may only be the tip of this iceberg.

I think what really set me off was the statement from Rocket support that
"it's working properly", when clearly "properly" to Rocket is equivalent to
"broken" in what used to be perfectly functional code.  Forgive me, but is
this really the best confidence builder?