From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Saturday, 11 February 2012 10:48 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] [mildly ot] - EDI and drop shipments

George, EDI is more people-oriented than technical.  The X12 documents provide
a structure, and trading partners can discuss the content used to populate
those structures to achieve their business goals.  There are few details about
the 850, 856, 820, 997, 810, etc that can't be negotiated to accommodate
specific business practices.  Every discussion with a different partner will
yield different results, though your inquiry here may give you more ideas to
bring to the table, and can help to establish standards among partners.  It's
been my experience that more time is spent on the phone, in emails, and in the
conference room than in code when it comes to EDI.  Getting the agreements
documented up front saves huge amounts of coding and retrofitting on the
back-end.

So I encourage you to take the feedback you get here and bring it to your
trading partners to see if it works for them - and ask them if they have ideas
about how they have already done this or how they see it happening.  That
partnership toward a common goal (again, very people-oriented) will really help
to make this technical initiative work for everyone.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com