SQL server indeed has locking but that is usually only deployed to maintain
state during a single transaction or stored procedure call. In fact SS
differentiates between pessimistic and optimistic locking during data access
operations and defaults to a pessimistic locking model in which readers block
writers and vice versa. But that is only at the point of interaction with the
database.

for most applications, a select and subsequent update operations are separated
by gaps in time where no lock is being held, unlike an MVDBMS where an update
lock is typically held for the duration of the intent to perform the range of
maintenance activities on a specific record e.g the time it is being held in an
update screen.

So for logical concurrency in SS you need to consider how to identify
optimistic locking conflicts (actually the easy bit, that is what the timestamp
column type  - a misnomer as it has absolutely nothing to do with time - was
designed for) and then more critically what to do about it.

if you use a dumb tool like the various query building options in Visual
Studio, you will end up with a dataset that can identify a locking conflict but
then simply aborts the update, which is extremely ungraceful. What the
developer should then do is to make a decision about when and how to merge the
changes so the update can continue with no loss and whilst retaining
transactional integrity. that is the harder part.

Sent from my iPad