From: Dave Laansma <dlaan...@hubbardsupply.com>
To: U2-Users <U2-Users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Fri, Jun 1, 2012 7:30 am
Subject: [U2] Monthly Multivalue Inserts and Speed

I have a file that is taking a very long time to update, seemingly
onger and longer each month. Here is briefly how the attributes are
rganized, a relatively simple example:

Attribute 1 is multivalued with our G/L Period, i.e. 12-01 vm 12-02 vm
2-03 etc.
Attributes 2 through 30 are dependent on attribute 1 and contain a
ariety of dollar amounts that are accumulated for the respective period
n attribute 1.

At the end of each month, a new G/L Period is inserted into the
ultivalued position of attribute 1 as well as each of the respective
ultivalued positions in attributes 2 through 30. Nothing complicated.

My question is this and is aimed largely at the technicians at Rocket
..

If, at the beginning of the year, I were to insert each of the
2-periods into their respective multivalues in attribute 1 and insert
espective <null> multivalues into attributes 2 through 30, thus
erforming all of the 'inserts' at once, will the processing each month
un faster as numbers are simply accumulated into attributes 2 through
0 and no inserting of new multivalues will have to be performed?

A couple nuggets of information:

This is only an example. In the actual file, these records contain many
ther attributes and the records overall are relatively large, averaging
engths of about 3,000 according to FILE.STAT
These are not my files so reorganizing them is not an option.

The heart of this question is, as a (numeric) number is accumulated in
n attribute, multivalue or subvalue, what causes the record to
stretch' in length, thus presumably impacting performance?

I would like to think that numeric information is stored in a more
compact' method than strings, thus using less space within the database
.. but what I 'like' and what 'is' are often quite different.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
David Laansma
IT Manager
Hubbard Supply Co.
Direct: 810-342-7143
Office: 810-234-8681
Fax: 810-234-6142
www.hubbardsupply.com <http://www.hubbardsupply.com>
"Delivering Products, Services and Innovative Solutions"