From: Bill Haskett <wphask...@advantos.net>
To: U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thu, Aug 9, 2012 9:33 am
Subject: Re: [U2] dbpause/dbresume or stopud/startud

As far as I know, Windows doesn't care about UniData.  If the Volume
Shadow Copy service is running the backups cruise right through
everything.  Now, to answer the question of whether it works, we're not
24/7 and I wouldn't use this if we were.  However, since our systems are
basically unused for 3 - 4 hours every night, this is a viable solution
that hasn't caused me any problems over the years.

I don't really know what files were "locked" when the backups are
performed, but I have restored quite a bit of data over the years and
have had no problems.

Again, we're not a 24/7 shop so this solution is the most viable and
inexpensive for our purposes.  If I could manage to work through a
mirrored solution that would be simple and inexpensive I'd do that, but
I don't have the time or resources to traverse that path.  :-o

This brings up another point; when stopud is run, all phantoms are
killed, right?  When startud runs how are these phantoms all started up
again?

Bill
Untitled Page