On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:23 PM, David Jordan <da...@dacono.com.au> wrote:
> you have to change the way you get the job interview.

Only works if there are jobs available.

In Portland, the long list of what people are looking for in skills
when hiring does not include "Pick" (or other varieties).  And "years
of experience in the field" plus "knowledge of xxx" (say, "PHP") does
not equal "five years of experience in PHP specifically using tools x
and y" in their equation, and you don't get past the initial
screening.

So I scramble to get what I can.  Right now, I'm working QA on a
contract and haven't had a chance for a permanent job for seven years
now.